Artist Website: Joel Swanson
Bio: Swanson is an Assistant Professor in the ATLAS Institute at the University of Colorado, Boulder where he teaches courses on digital art, typography, and media theory. He received his Masters of Fine Art at the University of California, San Diego with a focus in Computing and the Arts. His artwork has been exhibited nationally and internationally at institutions such as the Broad Museum in Lansing, The Power Plant in Toronto, the North Miami Museum of Contemporary Art. Most notably, Swanson has had a recent solo exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art Denver.
Title: New Works
Our first artist-in-residence of the year was Denver-based conceptual artist Joel Swanson. At the invitation of MAL curator Mél Hogan, on Monday February 11, 2013, Swanson gave a talk about the project that he worked on, in and for the lab, on the history of computer keyboards, asking what symbolic or cultural meaning there might be in the presence or absence of certain keys. He had already done work with keyboards by way of his ultra-minimal, conceptual piece, called “Spacebar” from 2012. Swanson also presented new work at Counterpath from September 16th to the 20th.
- Joel Swanson presentation in Mél Hogan’s Digital Curation class: Artist Residency at the Media Archaeology Lab
- Joel Swanson Discusses his MAL Artist Residency at Counterpath (Denver, CO)
- Photos of the event
- “Bibliographical Awareness in Art: Joel Swanson’s Spacebar” by James P. Ascher
- Joel Swanson’s presentation at the Brakhage Center: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- Miriam Suzanne
- Miriam Suzanne: ideas, process, obsolescence & the iterative